The Bowen House, also known as the Bowen Campbell House, was built in 1787 in what is now Goodlettsville, Tennessee.
Captain William Bowen, who built this plantation house, was born in Fin castle County, Virginia, then Augusta County, in 1742. In 1777, William married Mary Henley Russell, born in 1760.
Captain William Bowen was paid through land grants for military service during the Revolutionary War. He was also a veteran of the French and Indian War. The land grant for military service was probably 640 acres which was customary pay from the government.
Captain William Bowen brought his wife, Mary, and four young children to the Cumberland Valley in Tennessee in the fall of 1784 to set up their homestead. They built a double log cabin on Mansker's Creek, and lived in it until 1787 when the two story brick house was built. It was the first brick house built in Tennessee. Soon their family grew to 10 children.
From 1784 - 1793, Captain William Bowen and his wife were frequent boarders at Mansker's Station. That was where Captain William Bowen and General Daniel Smith compared notes on house construction. They worked together to find skilled masons from Lexington, Kentucky to build the walls of both their houses. They also worked together to buy window glass for their homes and brought it overland on pack-horses.
This is what's left of the well. It is where all the water for drinking and cooking comes from.
William Bowen worked hard and though his ambitions became prosperous increasing his estate to a 4,000 acre plantation.
William died in December 15, 1804 and his wife Mary died in 1827. Their son William Russell Bowen occupied the Bowen House until it was sold in 1835.
Above is an outside oven used for baking bread. Cooking was one of the causes for burning a house down, also they were very hot and you don't want them inside.
William Bowen Campbell, a grandson was born in the house and served as 15th governor of Tennessee.
Recently the Bowen House has been restored to its original 1790's style and placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1976.
It is located in Moss-Wright Park in Goodlettsville, Tennessee and is open for tours as part of the Historical Mansker's Station next door, and its address is 705 Caldwell Road Goodlettsville, TN 37070, or you can call 615-859-3678 for more information.